Baltimore, MD (July 27, 2011) – Otakon 2011 to host Charity Auction for Japan Relief.
In the wake of the devastation caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, Japan faces years of rebuilding and relief efforts. They will continue to need assistance and support for quite some time. Accordingly, this year’s Otakon Charity Auction will be donating all profits to the following charities:
- Save the Children: Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund
- The Japanese Red Cross Society
- Second Harvest Japan
- Habitat for Humanity Japan
We encourage you to set aside some money for this worthy cause. Our industry partners, former and current guests, staff, and others have dug deep to find some great items for this year’s auction. Examples of items include: signed copies of Summer Wars, signed original artwork from industry professionals such as Nobuhiro Watsuki, and self standing promotional banners.
These items along with others will be displayed at the Otakon Art Show starting Friday. Lot numbers will be displayed at that time on the pieces. Items will be auctioned as part of the Art Show auction held Sunday (starting at 11AM.)
Thanks to the following companies and individuals who have donated or committed to donate items:
○ FUNimation Entertainment ○ Bandai Entertainment ○ Viz Media ○ Aniplex of America
○ Watsuki Nobuhiro (Creator, Rurouni Kenshin) ○ Hiroyuki Kitakubo (Director: Blood the Last Vampire) ○ Terry Chu (Otakon Staff, Otakorp Inc. Member) ○ Chuck Shandry (Otakon Staff, Otakorp Inc. Member) ○ Jim Vowles Jr. (Otakon Staff, Otakorp Inc. Member) ○ Alex Wang (Otakon Staff, Otakorp Inc. Member) ○ Andrew M. Zerrlaut (Otakon Staff, Otakorp Inc. Member) ○ Cristina “Tsuki” Odom (Otakon Staff, Otakorp Inc. Member)The charity auction website which hosts images of items that will be auctioned can be found here: http://www.otakon.com/2011_charityauction.asp
Otakon 2011 will be held July 29–31 at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, MD.